Friday, March 10, 2006
The Friday Briefing -- I won't get to the comics shop before Saturday afternoon at the earliest, but thanks to what Internet Hipsters lovingly refer to as "The Favoured Store," I've already read the final issue of Tom Strong -- and it's a great farewell to the series, the character, and the ABC Universe.
Jog has a (warning, SPOILERS!) terrific look at the final Tom Strong issue (and the final Tomorrow Storeies as well), and it's nice to see he was as surprised by Moore's big revelation about Tom and a certain other character in the book as I was. Moore always manages to make surprises like this seem obvious in retrospect, one of the great charms and delights of his work and an element that runs through most of his best efforts, from Swamp Thing to Marvelman and beyond. I'm going to miss Moore's joyous, fantastic ABC efforts; and like Jog, I am thankful that they're in print and available for new readers to immerse themselves in. Top Ten, Promethea, Tom Strong, Tomorrow Stories and more, if Alan Moore wrote it and ABC released it, chances are you've got some great (and I think undervalued by most readers) comics right there waiting for you.
In other news, James Sime sends a timely reminder that he has posted a preview of Skyscrapers of the Midwest #3 on the Isotope Comics site. Check that out.
And by the time most of you read this, Chris Allen's newest BREAKDOWNS column should be up on the main page of Comic Book Galaxy. Among the books he covers this week is Late Bloomer, a wonderful hardcover offering from Carol Tyler, published by Fantagraphics. Please check 'em out, the column and the book both.
Newly stocked up on antibiotics and painkillers to deal with my current dental dysfunction, I need to take a shower and get to work. So have a great Friday, have a wonderful weekend, and I'll see you back here soon.
Sunday, March 05, 2006
Have You Ever: The Meme -- Grabbed from Roger. Hi, Roger!
1. Smoked cigarettes - Took a drag off one on a bet once. Fucker didn't pay up, so I stole all the quarters out of his car's ashtray while he was passed out drunk.
2. Smoked a cigar - No.
3. Broken a CD - Scratched a few through careles handling, but I don't think I've ever broken one.
4. Crashed a friend's car - No.
5. Stolen a car - No.
6. Been in love - Yes.
7. Been dumped - Yes.
8. Shoplifted - Does it count if the cashier is a friend who's given the thumbs up to your egregious behaviour?
9. Been fired - Yes, and it usually leads to better things in very short order.
10. Been in a fist fight - Yes, twice. The first time the other guy ended up in the St. John's River, the second time was when a drunk friend showed up at a radio station I was working at and wouldn't leave.
11. Snuck out of your house - No.
12. Had feelings for someone who didn't have them back - Can anyone say no to this question?
13. Been arrested - Yes.
14. Made out with a stranger - No.
15. Gone on a blind date - Yes.
16. Lied to a friend - Oh, probably, but I can't remember any specific incident. Maybe I am the perfect friend!
17. Had a crush on a teacher - No.
18. Skipped school - Oh, my, yes.
19. Slept with a co-worker - No.
20. Seen someone die - No.
21. Been on a plane - Yes, when I was 8.
22. Thrown up in a bar - No.
23. Taken painkillers - Yes, for bicipital tendonitis a few years back, and a cracked tooth right at this very moment.
24. Love someone or miss someone right now - Always.
25. Laid on your back and watched cloud shapes go by - Yes, outside the Olympic Park in Montreal.
26. Made a snow angel - No.
27. Played dress up - No.
28. Cheated while playing a game - Not to my recollection.
29. Been lonely - Yes, often.
30. Fallen asleep at work/school - Only once in 20 years of radio did I fall asleep while on the air. I was playing "All Around the World" by Lisa Stansfield on an overnight shift, and laid my head on the counter just to rest my eyes a minute. Woke up 20 minutes later with the needle clicking in the groove.
31. Used a fake id - No.
32. Felt an earthquake - Yes, three times, all in upstate New York.
33. Touched a snake - No.
34. Ran a red light - Yes.
35. Been suspended from school - Yes. I refused to mow the football field.
36. Had detention - Not that I recall.
37. Been in a car accident - Twice. Once was my fault, the second one was not.
38. Hated the way you look - Yes, usually.
39. Witnessed a crime - Only traffic violations.
40. Pole danced - No.
41. Been lost - Almost every time I go more than 50 miles from home.
42. Been to the opposite side of the country - No.
43. Felt like dying - Yes.
44. Cried yourself to sleep - Yes.
45. Played cops and robbers - Not that I recall.
46. Sang karaoke - Christ, no.
47. Done something you told yourself you wouldn't - Yes.
48. Laughed till some kind of beverage came out of your nose - Probably.
49. Caught a snowflake on your tongue - Not on purpose.
50. Kissed in the rain - Not that I recall.
51. Sing in the shower - No, I usually sing in the car.
52. Made love in a park - Yes, but it was dark.
53. Had a dream that you married someone - No.
54. Glued your hand to something - No.
55. Got your tongue stuck to a flag pole - No.
56. Worn the opposite sex's clothes - No.
57. Had an orgasm - I'll echo Roger's response: Oh, come on!
58. Sat on a roof top - Yes, sprained my ankle falling down the stairs immediately afterward
59. Didn't take a shower for a week - Not since I was 10.
60. Ever too scared to watch scary movies alone - No.
61. Played chicken - No.
62. Been pushed into a pool with all your clothes on - No.
63. Been told you're hot by a complete stranger- No.
64. Broken a bone - Yes, in the car accident that was my fault back in 1985.
65. Been easily amused - It's the only thing that keeps me sane.
66. Laugh so hard you cry - Yes, most recently watching a Ricky Gervais stand-up comedy routine.
67. Mooned/flashed someone - Yes.
68. Cheated on a test - I don't think so.
69. Forgotten someone's name - Yes.
70. Slept naked - Yes, I don't like it.
71. Gone skinny dipping in a pool - No.
72. Been kicked out of your house - No.
73. Blacked out from drinking - Not in years; these days I get sleepy and wander off to bed after three drinks.
74. Played a prank on someone - Yes. It was hilarious.
75. Gone to a late night movie - No, but I would like to.
76. Made love to anything not human - Not that I am aware of.
77. Failed a class - 9th Grade English.
78. Choked on something you're not supposed to eat - No.
79. Played an instrument for more than 10 hours - No.
80. Cheated on a gf/bf - Yes, to my everlasting regret.
81. Ate a whole package of Oreos - No.
82. Thrown strange objects - Ritz Crackers count? Those fuckers FLY!
83. Felt like killing someone - No.
84. Thought about running away - Yes.
85. Ran away - Yes.
86. Did drugs - Only for pain.
87. Had detention and not attend it - No.
88. Yelled at parents - Not that I recall.
89. Made parent cry - Not that I know of, but probably.
90. Cried over someone - Oh, yes..
91. Owned more than 5 puppies - No. The most pets my family had was four cats when I was in college, one of whom turned out to be the best cat I ever had. Right now we have a hamster and a cat, and this cat is pretty cool, too.
92. Dated someone more than once - Yes.
93. Have a dog - No, not as an adult. Frankly I hate them quite a lot.
94. Have a cat - See #91.
95. Own an instrument - Kazoo count?
96. Been in a band - No.
97. Had more than 25 sodas in one day - No, but I probably have had 8 or 9 Diet Mountain Dews in one day on accasion.
98. Made out with a member of the same sex - No, but I've seen Brokeback Mountain.
99. Shot a gun - Handled, yes. Fired, no.
100. Been online for more than 5 hours straight - In my earliest days online, in the heyday of Prodigy chatrooms. God, what I wouldn't give to have that time back now.